Friday, September 18, 2015

Denver Dress tester review

Pattern Name:  Denver Dress and Tunic
Designer:  Blank Slate Patterns


Pattern Description:  features tunic, fitted dress and flared dress options, as well as cowl or flat necklines and two sleeve lengths for choices to be cozy or cool. The princess seams shape every Body. 

Pattern Sizing: XXS (bust 31") to 3X (bust 53")

Purchased here:  http://patternanthology.com

Pattern cost:  as a tester, I did not pay for the pattern. It is currently be sold in a bundle with 3 other patterns for $29.95 (through October 2, 2015)

Size Made:  Medium

Model's Measurements: height- 5' 8", chest-35", waist-28 1/2", hips-38 1/2"

Did it look like the photo/drawing advertised once you were done sewing with it?  Yep!

Dealing with the pattern:  I never have issues putting together or dealing with Melissa's patterns. 

Level of difficulty:  Fairly easy!!  I'd rate it Advanced Beginner; especially since you can use a fairly sturdy knit fabric. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes!  Straightforward. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  BIG fan!!  I'm 5' 8" tall, 150 lbs.  I fit right below the Medium sizing, but bigger than the small.  I often have issues with my long, muscular arms being too big in relation to other patterns. The sleeves are JUST RIGHT!!!  It makes me so happy!!  I very much like the fit of the front and pocket placement.  The back....  I've got some room there.  I'm sure it is the fault of my "sway back".  One of these days I'll learn how to account for and adjust that.

The dress length is good, but I haven't hemmed it yet.  A 1/2" shouldn't make that much difference.  And, with my choice of a "winter" style dress, I wouldn't want it any shorter.   The cowl neck isn't my favorite part but it's leave-able.  I still need to play with pulling the folded fabric apart so it sits more like the pattern photo. Also, next time I will probably make the cowl in self fabric instead of ribknit.  
Fabric Used:  I think it is a sturdy waffle knit. From JoAnn's. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  none made; cut and constructed exactly as pattern suggests. 

Would you sew it again?  Oh yes. Lots on the horizon. 

 Would you recommend it to others?  100%

Conclusion:   
I literally cannot WAIT to make more versions!!  The fitted dress without pockets is gorgeous and the tunic length with pockets is going to be an everyday staple once the weather turns.  




2 comments: