Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Twirly Skorts review

I love having the chance to test for new-to-me designers. Meghan at The Sewing Geek is no exception. I had a wonderful time testing these Skorts for her and can't wait to sew up her other patterns. She has a wonderful way of describing her construction process. 

Pattern Name: Twirly Skorts
Designer: Sewing Geek



Pattern Description:  The Twirly Skorts sewing pattern is a sweet and simple pattern for knit fabrics. The circle skirt makes it very twirly while the built-in shorts underneath helps keep your little one modest while twirling and playing. The four skirt options and large size range make this a versatile pattern you can use over and over again. You can sew the shorts and skirt separately for even more options.

Pattern Sizing:  3 months - girls 14

Pattern cost:  $7.00

Size Made:  9 months 

Model's Measurements: height-32+", chest-18 1/2", waist-17 1/2", hips-20" with cloth diaper(18 1/4" without)

Did it look like the photo/drawing advertised once you were done sewing with it?  Yes!  Maybe even twirly-ier....  Yep, that's my own word right there :-)

Dealing with the pattern: Be aware that there are 66 pages of the tutorial(needed because there are 4 options for the skirt)!! Do not let this scare you;  I only printed 6 pages. The instructions are great and tell you exactly which pages needed to be printed for which size and style. 

Level of difficulty:  Fairly easy.  I'm noticing a trend here....  All knit patterns are or pretty darn easy. Why did I not know this before????

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Once you get over the anxiety of a bajillion pages of tutorial, yes. The tutorial tells you exactly which steps you need for which version you are making. Just skip through the rest (that was the hard part for me. I like to read EVERYTHING and in this case you truly don't need to).  The wording in the tutorial is very straight forward as well. Very easy to absorb. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the circle skirt. I like that there are attached shorts and that the pattern is easy to alter for length. I'm not a huge fan of the shorts on their own but I have yet to find a shorts pattern that I like for Kinley. So it's not the patterns fault....  

Fabric Used:  interlock for waistband and shorts, double sided jersey from Joann's for the skirt

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  none!!

Would you sew it again?  yes!  Can't wait to make the skirt and shorts seperately. The next time I make the skirt, I will use the 12 month length.  This is not a pattern fault, but due to the fact that I have a very skinny, tall 17 month old. 

 Would you recommend it to others?  Highly recommended!!  Make tons for all the girls you know!

Conclusion:  such a cute twirly skirt and love that it has attached shorts. Now I need to teach my little to spin so we can see it twirl!







No comments:

Post a Comment